Tension and stress are the normal reactions of the body to any sudden change or unsavory events that occur in a person?s life. The reaction can be expressed emotionally, physically or mentally has when changes occur. It can respond to these changes physically, mentally, or emotionally depending on the causes that trigger the tension. A little amount of tension and stress in life is good for motivation towards success but when it exceeds the threshold, it affects the body and mind severely.
The cause may be a trivial one to serious condition depending upon the susceptibility and endurance of a person. What might seem simple to one person can be a troubling thing to another person.
- Changes in life such as exams, marriage, work, etc
- Even some positive events add tension to mind such as a promotion, transfer, childbirth, etc.
- Certain illness and addictions
Symptoms and signs of tension
Tension and stress can lead to many physical and mental symptoms such as
- Anxiety and lack of interest
- Weakness and fatigue
- Social withdrawal
- Loss of appetite
- Palpitation and chest pain
- Loss or gain of weight
- Body aches and excessive sweats
- Severe headaches
- Acid reflux diseases
- Sexual disorders
- Loss of libido
- Addiction to alcohol or smoking
- Health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, etc
Simple ways to relieve stress and anxiety
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet containing all nutrition.
- Avoid tobacco, excessive caffeine, alcohol and, energy drinks.
- Take foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, sardines, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Green tea contains antioxidants that help to lower stress and anxiety by increasing the levels of serotonin.
- Regular exercises help to lower the stress hormone cortisol and help in the release of endorphins which is called a happy hormone that elevates the mood and is a natural painkiller.
- Make an exercise routine such as walking, running or yoga.
- Practice relaxation techniques like meditation and tai chi.
- Take part in group activities such as trekking, laughing therapy, etc.
Using natural and essential oils in the room can help relieve the stress by calming the mind. Some of the oils that can be vaporized or used as candles are Lavender, Rose, Vetiver, Sandalwood
Maintaining a journal
- Writing about things that stresses you on a journal can help you let out the pent up feelings.
- When you write about the happy memories, it will help you to keep moving on and give you the strength to handle things easily.
Quality time with friends and family
- Love and emotional support from friends and family will help to get through stressful times.
- Maintaining a small but strong social group will be very helpful to overcome the tension and stress.
- Watch a funny movie or hang out with friends who will make you laugh instead of talking about the stressful events.
- A loving touch, a hug, cuddling, etc will release oxytocin love hormone and make you happy.
Music and books
- Listening to soothing music and reading books relieve stress more than anything.
- It helps to calm the mind, lower the blood pressure and heart rate and bring the body to a relaxed state.
- The sounds of nature such as spending sometimes near the woods, park and, stream will also help.
- Breathing exercises help to relax the mind and body by activating the parasympathetic nervous system, that helps to relieve the tension from the flight or fight response which your body undergoes at times of stress.
- Try different breathing exercises such as diaphragmatic breathing, abdominal breathing, deep breathing, etc.
Raising a pet
- Raising a pet at home will help to reduce the stress significantly.
- It helps to make life active, less lonely, purposeful and provides unconditional love and companionship.
Change in attitude
- Try to accept your limitations and avoid worrying over matters that are beyond your control.
- Be strong and assertive in expressing your feelings and opinions.
- Organize your life and time efficiently.
- It is okay to say no when you are already overwhelmed with work and stress.
Proper and sufficient sleep
- Improve the quality of your sleep which easily gets affected by stress and tension.
- Try to avoid any screen time such as TV, mobile texting, etc during bedtime.
- Avoid late night working or studying.
- Instead, light up a candle, read a book, take a warm bath or listen to music, etc.
- Avoid thinking too much before sleep and in bed as a calm mind help to sleep well.
Homeopathic remedies for tension and stress
It is a very useful homeopathic remedy for tension and is indicated for sudden anxiety, panic, and fear. Waves of anxiety or panic attacks. For fearful, restless people, with recent trauma.
It is indicated for anxiety with uncertainty. Very fearful, fear of heights, or fear of everyday things.
It is a homeopathic medicine indicated for tension and anxiety from grief or loss. Very sensitive with extreme mood swings, moving from laughter to tears. Emotional stress from criticism, disappointment, guilt, homesickness, humiliation, loneliness, loss, and shame. Great jealousy, suspiciousness, and defensiveness with a tendency to weep.
This is a great homeopathic medicine indicated for tension and anxiety with fear of dying or incurable diseases. Racing of thoughts with difficulty in sleeping.
It is a very useful homeopathic remedy indicated for fear of loneliness, darkness, or being imperfect. Fear of death, incurable disease and, fear of poverty.
It is indicated for tension related to business and financial issues. People who are hard workers with deep insecurity and fear of poverty. Very irritable and like to be left alone.
This homeopathic remedy is indicated for stress from overwork or financial pressures. People who get stressed around deadlines with performance anxiety and financial insecurity.
This homeopathic remedy is useful in cases of stress from stage fright and anticipation. Trembling with fright and great fatigue. The legs feel heavy and shakes with a dull feeling in the head. It is indicated for tension and anxiety due to feelings of inadequacy. Very shy, timid, and avoid crowds or public speaking with fainting episodes.
This is one of the best homeopathic remedies indicated for emotional stress due to grief, disappointed love, and loss. Very sensitive, prefer to be alone with their grief, dwell on past losses and humiliation. Very sensitive to the suffering of others.
It is a very useful homeopathic remedy for people who experience stress from work, business worry, and finances. Workaholics with great irritability and aggressiveness.
This homeopathic remedy is indicated for stress and tension from fear and anxiety. Very fearful such as fear of being alone, fear of the dark, ghosts, thunderstorms, etc. They have vivid imagination, easily startled, and very sensitive to odors, sounds, and light.
It is a homeopathic remedy indicated for tension due to fear of the impending future. Great apprehension and nervousness about the future.
It is a very good homeopathic remedy indicated for stress and tension due to failure and humiliation. It is great medicine for depression due to disappointments in life with suicidal tendencies.