Depression is one of the major mood disorders which is characterized by sadness, persistent mood swings and loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities. Certain life events such as death of a loved one can cause temporary disinterest and sadness but when it persists for a long time and affect the quality of life of a person, it might be major depression. Depression is more common in women than men. Homeopathy can help a person to effectively get rid of the symptoms of depression without any side effects or health problems.
Symptoms of depression
- Lack of joy and interest in things that were previously interesting to a person
- Constant mood swings
- Hopelessness and irritability
- Feeling worthless
- Trouble concentrating or making decisions
- Insomnia or oversleeping
- Changes in appetite and weight
- Suicidal thoughts
- Lack of energy
Causes of depression
- Genetic factors as in a family history of mood disorders
- Any change in the biochemistry of the brain especially in the chemicals and neurotransmitters
- Psychological and social factors such as trauma, mental shock, etc
- Life events such as a death, problems at work or in relationships, financial problems, severe illness, etc.
- People who are very weak and sensitive
- History of childhood trauma or abuse
- Certain medications
- Abuse of alcohol, amphetamines, and other drugs are prone to cause depression
- History of head injury
- Chronic illness
- Regular exercise, yoga, aerobic exercise and, relaxation techniques can help to reduce depression by elevating the endorphin levels and stimulating the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which are known to improve the mood.
- Brain stimulation therapies such as electroconvulsive therapy and magnetic induction therapy, send electrical signals and magnetic pulses to the brain and stimulate the mood centers.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy is also effective in treating depression. It helps a person to recognize the distorted pattern of thinking and helps to change the behaviors and way of thinking.
- Getting proper sleep and rest
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet
- Talking to friends and family if not to a professional counselor about the problems can help to come out of depression. There are many groups and centers for talk therapy. There is no shame in sharing your experiences with someone whom you are comfortable with instead of bottling up your feelings.
- Chronic illness such as heart diseases, diabetes, etc
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Social phobia
- Relationship and work problems
- Self-harming and suicide attempts
Homeopathy in treating depression
Homeopathy is the best alternative system of medicine in treating mental disorders as they are safe without causing any side effects. Homeopathic system of medicine considers a person as a whole even while treating a systemic disease. It treats the body and mind as a whole and also concentrates exclusively on the totality of symptoms, mind and the individuality of the patient. There are hundreds of remedies which are efficient in treating many mental symptoms of which depression is also a condition. The medicines are safe and unique for each patient and it does not cause any addiction or sedation in the patient. It helps to remove the symptom by acting on the whole. Some of the best-indicated medicines in homeopathy for depression are:
- The homeopathic remedy Ignatia Amara is indicated for depression with sadness and weeping. Desire to be alone with intense hopelessness.
- Natrum Muriaticum is indicated for treating chronic depression. Constant dwelling on the past and unpleasant memories with sadness. Depression after any disappointment in life such as a failed relationship or loss of loved one, etc.
- Sepia is indicated for treating depression with marked indifference towards loved ones. Lack of interest in activities which were previously liked.
- Natrum Muriaticum and Carcinosin are indicated for chronic major depression.
- Aconite is one of the best homeopathic medicines for treating depression with anxiety.
- Kali Phosphoricum is indicated for treating depression from stress due to overwork and overexertion.
- Aurum Metallicum is one of the best homeopathic medicines for major depression with suicidal tendencies. Profound hopelessness and loss of interest in life with suicidal thoughts. Feels worthless and cannot bear the least contradiction.
- Homeopathic medicines Coffea cruda and Kali phosphoricum is useful in treating depression from sleeplessness.
- Homeopathic remedy Ignatia is very useful in treating depression due to seasonal affective disorder.
- Homeopathic remedies Sepia and Lachesis are indicated for depression during menopause.
- The homeopathic remedies Ignatia and Kali phosphoricum are useful in treating teenagers who are suffering from depression.
- Causticum is indicated for people who become depressed after sudden shock or loss with forgetfulness.
- Cimicifuga is one of the best homeopathic remedies in a person who was so active and energetic with full of life suddenly become depressed.
- Phosphoric acid is one of the best homeopathic remedies for treating insomnia with depression.
- Staphysagria is indicated for depression after betrayal from loved ones, sudden death, circumstances which lead to a lonely life.
- Pulsatilla is used to treat women with depression during menstrual cycles or at the time of puberty.
- Sepia and Lachesis are used to treat depression in women during and after menopause.
- Arsenicum Album and Argentum Nitricum are indicated for depression with obsessive-compulsive disorders.
Some of the best homeopathic products available for depression are Schwabe India’s, Stress Free Life, Ginkgo biloba 1X, Five Phos, Hypericum perforatum 1X, Alpha-TS, Daphne indica 1x, etc.