Natrum muriaticum is a homeopathic medicine prepared from common salt. It is often wrongly assumed that common salt can have no medicinal effects or should in fact be consumed in a very limited quantity since it gives rise to various health issues, primarily being hypertension which is increasing by the day. Although it is true to some extent, it is only so in common salt’s crude state and not when triturated for medicinal purposes such as in homeopathy. It is one of the tissue remedies (biochemic remedy or Schuessler’s salt) and is widely prescribed otherwise also due to its huge coverage over various diseases. It is a deep acting remedy and is extremely useful in chronic diseases especially those accompanied by wasting of the bulk of the body. It is also suited to those who have undergone long term suffering especially that focused on the emotional or mental plane. It is very useful in ailments arising from grief and long term depressive states with an inability to recover from such states.
What is Natrum muriaticum?
It is a remedy made up of common salt, equal parts of sodium and chloride. It is suited to those who suffer from a lack of absorption of the same. It is hence a very helpful remedy for hyperthyroidism and its effects such as weight loss and hair fall. It is suited to those with great debility and emaciation. It has one characteristic symptom that sympathy brings about an aggravation of all symptoms. The person is worse by affection or concern and is unable to enter a state of joy and happiness even in the best of circumstances. There is a constant state of gloominess that accompanies them making it a very useful remedy in symptoms similar to that of depression. This is so because there is an overall depressive state of both the mind and the body. It is useful in conditions brought on by fright, grief or anger.
What are the main spheres of action of this remedy?
Natrum muriaticum uses include the following:
- Head: It is a very good remedy for headaches that are brought on in the morning and get better by evening; it gets worse by sunlight and is accompanied by vomiting and a sensation of hammers being struck in the head. It is very helpful for headaches in females after menses and in school girls who feel discouraged and despondent. It is also a helpful remedy in cases of sinusitis especially of frontal sinus. The person wants to be alone to cry which is of a sobbing nature. Even when the person laughs, tears start to flow automatically. Headache is accompanied by severe throbbing.
- Eyes: Eye complaints include heaviness in eyelids with the eyes feeling bruised and injured. Watering of eyes which makes them appear teary at all times. Tears are burning and acrid causing redness of eyes. Tears also when coughing.
- Respiratory: It is a very helpful remedy for runny nose which lasts for a few days and then changes to stoppage of nose making breathing difficult. Discharge from nose is thin, watery and white in color. It is also helpful in cases of respiratory troubles with loss of sensation of smell and taste. It is of use in colds that start with sneezing. Cough arises as a tickling sensation from the stomach and may cause involuntary urination. Cough with severe bursting pain in the head and tears from eyes.
- Digestive: There may be a frothy coating on the tongue giving it a mapped appearance. The middle of lower lip appears cracked. There may be small eruptions around the mouth and vesicles that appear as pearls around the lips. The red line symptom of this remedy is the insatiable thirst which is worse at night. This makes it a helpful remedy for diabetes as well. There is great hunger yet a loss of significant weight. There is profuse sweating when eating food. There is a desire for salt with an aversion to oily and rich fatty foods. There may be pain in the abdomen with a throbbing sensation. It helps in the case of piles and fissures which have burning and stitching pains after stool.
- Urinary: A significant symptom of the remedy is an inability to pass urine in the presence of others around the person. There may be pain after urination. Urine may be passed involuntarily when walking or coughing.
- Male Reproductive System: It is of use in cases of impotency with late emissions.
- Female Reproductive System: It is an extremely useful remedy for infections accompanied by white discharge per vagina especially those in large quantities with itching and excoriation. It is also helpful in cases of irregular or suppressed menses.
- Extremities: There is pain in the back with a desire for firm support. The knees feel very weak. It is also a good remedy for numbness and tingling in hands and feet.
- Skin: It is a very useful remedy in skin conditions which have dryness and itching. Natrum muriaticum for hair loss has been very frequently used and brought about good results.
What Dosage is to be taken of Natrum muriaticum?
Unless otherwise recommended by your physician, Natrum muriaticum tablet is to be taken twice a day. Adults can take up to four tablets in a day while children can take up to two in a day.
Does Natrum muriaticum have any side effects?
No, it does not have any known side effects or complications but if you suffer from any chronic health issues then it is best to consult your physician before taking this remedy.
To conclude, Natrum muriaticum is a very good remedy for conditions that are made worse by consolation, heat, by talking, mental exertion, in a warm room and near the sea. Its complaints are better in open air, by cold bathing, by lying on the right side, by pressure on the back and by tight clothing. They are also better by skipping meals even though hunger and thirst seem to be uncontrollable.