The largest organ of our body is skin. It is made up of two layers:-
- The outer layer of the epidermis which acts as a waterproof barrier and is responsible for our skin tone and
- The inner layer of the dermis contains hair follicles and sweat glands.
Beneath the dermis, there is the layer of subcutaneous fatty tissue.
The critical functions of the skin are:-
- The essential function of the skin is to act as a barrier. The skin keeps the vital chemicals and nutrients in the body and protects the body from micro-organisms, harmful ultraviolet radiations, chemicals, and from a variety of mechanical impacts and trauma
- Regulation of body temperature.
- Maintaining electrolyte and water balance
- Sensing painful and pleasant stimuli.
- Role in vitamin D synthesis
- Also, the skin color, texture, and folds help give identity to individuals.
FACTORS THAT AFFECT SKIN HEALTH
The internal factors that affect the skin are:-
- Genetics- Genes determine an individual’s skin color and type. Genes also determine biological skin aging. Genes determine a predisposition to some ailments like psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
- Hormonal conditions, especially diabetes, affect skin health. Also, during puberty hormonal changes cause acne. During pregnancy, increased production of melanin under the influence of hormones leads to hyperpigmentation. Fall in female estrogen especially after menopause leads to biological aging.
The external factors that affect the skin are:-
- Sunlight- Harsh sunlight has harmful UV radiation that causes skin damage.
- Temperature- Too cold temperature reduces sebaceous gland secretion causing the skin to dry out in hot weather skin produces more sweat and in some cases prone to acne.
- Low humidity as in airplane cabin and central heating cause skin to get dehydrated.
- Harsh skincare products with an alkaline pH cause the skin to dry out.
- Washing too frequently or for long or with hot water leads to loss of skin’s natural moisturizing factors and surface lipids, making it dry and rough.
- Diet- A balanced diet and plenty of water intake promote good skin health.
- Medications- Certain medications like radiations, laxatives, diuretics, lipid-lowering drugs, and chemotherapy make the skin dry out.
- Stress- Uncontrolled stress makes skin more sensitive to various disorders.
- Smoking- Tobacco in smoke contains harmful free radicals that make the skin look older and wrinkled. So avoiding both active and passive smoking is advisable.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SKIN CONDITIONS
- Skin irregularities that are typical symptoms of a skin disorder are:-
- Red or white raised bumps.
- A rash which might be itchy and painful
- Scaly or rough skin
- Peeling skin
- Open sores or lesions
- Dry, cracked skin
- Discolored patches of skin
- Fleshy bumps, warts or other skin growths
- Changes in moles color or size
- A loss of skin pigment
- Excessive flushing
MANAGEMENT OF SKIN DISEASES
Steps to prevent skin conditions are:-
- Wash hands with toiletries and warm water frequently.
- Avoid sharing eating utensils and drinking glasses or personal items with other people.
- Avoid direct contact with other people having a skin infection.
- Adequate sleep for seven to eight hours routinely.
- Drink plenty of water and eat a nutritious diet.
- Avoid excessive physical or mental stress.
- Get vaccinated for skin conditions like chickenpox.
- Wash face with gentle cleanser and water every day.
- Use moisturizer.
- Avoid environmental and dietary allergens.
- Avoid contact with harsh chemicals.
- Protect skin from excessive cold, heat, and wind
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT OF SKIN DISORDERS
As the skin help to mark people as individuals, anything that disrupts the healthy structure or function of the skin can have a major impact on physical and mental health. Homeopathy has a significant role to play in the treatment of various skin disorders. Homeopathy helps to treat various skin disorders in a safe yet effective way. In certain conditions like malignant melanomas, where cure of the disease is difficult homeopathy can still help to palliate the disorder and improve the quality of the patient’s life.
Best medicine for skin detoxification in homeopathy is the one most similar to disease manifestation in any given case. For this, the symptoms belonging to both mental and physical spheres are elicited by the trained physician. These are effective medicines for skin cleansing and stimulate the body’s ability to eliminate various toxins and waste by-products without any side effects.
Common skin detoxifiers and skin cleanse medicine in homeopathy are:-
Berberis Vulgaris- It helps in detoxification by kidney and liver drainage. The patient often has a history of left-sided renal stone.
Chelidonium Majus- It helps in liver and gall bladder drainage.
Ruta Graveolans – It helps in colon drainage.
Phosphorous- It helps in pancreatic drainage.
Nux Vomica- General detoxifier, it removes terrible effects due to high living like eating junk food, smoking and taking excessive alcohol.