Weight gain is one of the common problems during winter. There are many probable reasons as to why people tend to gain more weight in winter than other seasons. Some of the known causes are the cold weather which inhibits many people from working out, lack of physical activities, lack of vitamin D, etc. Not everyone tends to gain weight in winter but some has the tendency to gain few extra calories.
The days get much shorter in winter and the resulting lack of sunlight affect certain hormones which may cause seasonal affective disorder. Especially the sleep hormone melatonin is secreted more and people tend to feel sleepy and drowsy. This results in lack of motivation and lack of physical activities. It also is a reason for increased appetite and weight gain. To keep up with the increased metabolism during winter, people develop a craving for rich fatty foods.
Probable reasons for the weight gain
- One of the most common reasons is the cold weather and hence to keep the body warm, people tend to eat more.
- People indulge in fatty, fried foods and junk foods during winter as they are cooped up indoors.
- Lack of physical activities, where not only exercises but even day to day activities are reduced.
- People are less worried about body shape and condition as they are covered in layers and layers of clothing.
- Lack of sunlight and vitamin D is also supposed to trigger weight gain during winter.
- Drinking less amount of water due to lack of thirst also causes weight gain and drowsiness.
- The cold weather also affects the circadian rhythm and hormones which also leads to weight gain. This affect hunger centers and increases the need to eat.
Preventing weight gain
- In order to avoid eating more, it is good to drink lots of water.
- Maintain regular eating and sleeping habits.
- Intake of healthy foods rich in vitamins and minerals and avoid rich
- fatty foods.
- Get out into the sunlight as much as possible.
- Keep up with the regular exercising schedule.
- Take lots of protein instead of carbohydrates.
- Maintain a regular sleeping pattern.
- Maintain a balanced diet.
- Avoid binge eating and midnight eating.
- Take lots of fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C.
- Increase fiber intake.
- Try to relax the mind and de-stress to avoid seasonal depression.
- Avoid comfort foods, alcohol, carbonated drinks.
Homeopathic Medicines to Lose Weight
Calcarea Carbonica: It is one of the best homeopathic medicines for general weight gain. It is indicated when there is excess fat in the abdomen. The person is fatty and flabby with a slow metabolism. There is a tendency to perspire profusely, especially on the head, cannot tolerate cold air. Craving for boiled eggs, and indigestible things like chalk, clay, etc. Chronic constipation due to sluggish metabolism.
Natrum Mur: It is a homeopathic remedy for weight gain especially when the fat is mainly accumulated in the thighs and buttocks. Weight gain due to chronic depression and stress. Extremely intolerable towards the heat of the sun and heat of any form. Anemia with craving for salt and salty foods. The patient is usually depressed with tendency to weep easily.
Lycopodium: It is one of the most used homeopathic remedies for weight loss. Especially when fat tend to accumulate around the thighs and buttock areas. Suffers from chronic gastric problems such as flatulence and constipation. Tendency to overeat. Craving for sweet foods, hot food and drinks.
Nux Vomica: It is the best homeopathic medicine indicated for excessive weight gain due to sedentary habits. Craving for alcohol and stimulants, likes spicy rich fatty foods. Chronic and obstinate constipation. There is intolerance to cold air.
Ignatia: It is the best homeopathic medicine for increase in weight due to depression. Overeating from sadness and extremely changeable temper. Sudden change from sadness to happiness and from laughter to tears. Obese people with weeping tendency and increased appetite.
Ferrum metallicum: It is indicated for obesity with anemia. It is the best homeopathic remedy indicated for young, weakly persons with puffy face and pale skin. They are anemic and flush easily. There is coldness of extremities and extreme fatigue.
Ammonium muriaticum: It is a homeopathic remedy indicated for people who are fat and sluggish and have large body with large buttocks but thin legs. They tend to suffer from respiratory troubles and liver problems. Obstinate constipation with much flatus.
Thyroidinum: It is indicated when people suffer from thyroid disorder leading to weight gain. Anemia, muscular weakness, excessive sweating and increased heart rate. It is especially useful for weight gain in females with goiter, obesity and uterine or mammary tumors.
Ammonium Mur: It is an effective homeopathic medicine for weight gain due to insomnia and depression. It helps to reduce the fat in abdomen, thigh and buttock area. Sad and sensitive and has a tendency to grieve for simple things.
Graphites: It is a great homeopathic remedy for weight gain in people who suffer from chronic gastric troubles, body pain and fatigue. They are constantly depressed with menstrual troubles.
Fucus vesiculosis: It is the most important remedy for any form of weight gain. This helps to reduce weight in people who suffer from all kind of obesity. It also helps to relieve constipation and improve digestion. It is recommended for obesity due to thyroid problems. There is extreme exhaustion and frequent fluctuations in appetite. Alternate constipation and diarrhea.
Phytolacca: It is an important homeopathic medicine for weight loss. It helps to reduce fat and glandular swellings.
Lac defloratum: It is a good homeopathic remedy for weight gain due to malnutrition and unhealthy diet. Sick headaches with intense throbbing, nausea and vomiting. Extreme prostration and all the complaints are aggravated during menses.
Pulsatilla: Tendency to obesity in mild, gentle, yielding women who are sad, cry easily when talking. The indicated symptoms are very changeable and contradictory. Thirstlessness and chilliness. Aversion to fatty foods.
Antimonium Crudum: It is indicated when the weight gain is due to overeating. Tendency to eat when extremely stressed and irritated. It is effective for obese people with indigestion and due to overeating.
Calotropis Gigantea: Calotropis Gigantea is the best homeopathic remedy to reduce body fat. It reduces the fat and makes the muscles firmer and harder.
Some of the best homeopathic products available in the market for weight loss are Schwabe India’s Phytolacca Berry Tablets*. When taken regularly with proper exercises and diet, this product helps to speed up the burning of the fat and increases the metabolism and hence resulting in weight loss.