COVID-19 or corona virus disease is a contagious disease caused by recently discovered corona virus, namely SARS-CoV-2 virus. This virus is one of the seven types of corona viruses that affects the upper or lower respiratory tract. The upper respiratory tract includes the sinuses, nose and throat. The lower respiratory tract includes the windpipe and the lungs. The SARS-CoV-2 Virus spreads easily, when the patient carrying this virus sneezes, coughs or even talks loudly. The infection when caused varies from mild to severe in intensity. Being highly infectious it grew up to the pandemic level within a span of a few months. People who belong to high risk group of contracting COVID-19 include:-
- Those who are above 70years of age
- Those suffering from underlying lung, heart or kidney diseases
- Obese people
- Men are found to be more susceptible to this infection than women.
What are the signs and symptoms of COVID-19?
Common symptoms of COVID-19
- Breathing difficulty
- Fever with sometimes chill and rigors
- Pain in body
- Sore throat
- Loss of smell and taste
- Digestive symptoms such as nausea and diarrhoea
- In some patients this virus has resulted in severe symptoms such as:-
- Difficulty breathing
- Pain or pressure in the chest
- Confusion of mind
- Blueness of lips or face
- In some rare cases infection has resulted in stroke.
What measures can be taken at individual level to protect oneself from this disease?
It usually takes years to develop and test an effective vaccine against an infection. Considering the gravity of the situation, more than 100 such studies all over the world are going on and have reached various levels of developing and testing vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 virus. Even if the process is speeded up it can take 12months- 18months to develop and test an effective vaccine.
Lockdown measure ordered by the government has slowed the spread of the infection. But at the same time, it has adversely affected the economy of our country. As a result complete lockdown is not a sustainable solution to this problem.
We have to be vigilant and responsible on our part in order to contain this infection. For this we should observe the following measures:-
- Avoiding crowded places.
- If necessary to go out, then always wear a face mask, carry alcohol based hand sanitizer, observe social distancing and keep a distance of 3feet or 1metre between oneself and others.
- Avoid touching nose, eyes and mouth.
- At home regularly clean the frequently touched objects with a disinfectant.
- Regularly wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Regular exercise- staying indoors we can choose from wide range of exercises depending on our interest and capability. Exercise helps to flush out toxins from the body through sweat.
- Take 8-10 glasses of water. This is essential to flush out the toxins from the body. one can even take juices, coconut water etc to stay hydrated.
- Take adequate rest and 7-8 hours sleep. This is essential as our body repairs and rejuvenates naturally while we sleep.
- Avoid alcohol intake and smoking as much as possible.
- Take immunity boosting food items. This includes fruits such as citric fruits, strawberries and mango, and vegetables such as carrot, sweet potatoes, green leafy vegetables, spinach, tomato and broccoli.
- Also stress is found to decrease the immunity therefore activities such as meditation, yoga and deep relaxation techniques can be done to bring down stress levels and boost immunity of the body.
What is the role of homeopathy in COVID-19 pandemic?
Homeopathy has a great role to play in this hour of crises. Homeopathy has the potential to boost the immunity of the masses and thus prevent or even treat COVID-19 effectively. Homeopathy can contribute in the following ways to help deal with this pandemic:-
- According to the advisory and recommendations issued by the Ministry of AYUSH, homeopathic medicine Arsenicum Album 30 is the homeopathic medicine for improving the immunity against current pandemic. It is advised to take Arsenicum Album 30 on empty stomach for three days as preventive medicine.
- For those patients who are already on constitutional homeopathic medicines for treatment of preexisting chronic diseases, these medicines can act as preventive of COVID-19 for them. By harmonizing all the functions of the body, including the immunity, they can serve as homeopathic immunity boosters against corona virus.
- If a person gets infected with COVID-19 Ministry of AYUSH has given guidelines for the treatment.
Within no time the danger of COVID-19 has spanned the entire world. It is a contagious disease which is caused by corona virus. As this virus has been discovered recently there is no known cure or prevention against it. It can spread very easily and can prove to be fatal especially in high risk people. The potential solution to this menace is firstly to avoid coming in contact with the virus and secondly to boost the immunity to fight this virus once infected. Use of masks, sanitizers or soap and water and observing social distancing will help to meet the first need. At the same time adequate sleep, balanced diet, plenty of water and regular exercise will help to boost immunity of the body. medically one can avail to the benefits of homeopathy in both prevention and treatment of COVID-19.