Weight loss helps to improve the appearance and enhance the overall personality and self-esteem of an individual. Weight loss is also essential to reduce the risk of many medical problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, certain cancers, and heart diseases. Through this article, we will know some effective tips to lose weight in a healthy way.
What is ideal weight?
The best way to find out about one’s obesity is to calculate the Body Mass Index (BMI). BMI is an individual’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of her/his height in meters.
If the BMI is 25.0- 29.9 the individual is overweight.
If the BMI is 30.0 or above, the individual is considered to be obese.
What leads to weight gain?
Obesity results if the intake of calories is more than what is burnt through physical activities done throughout the day. These excess calories are then stored in the body as fat. Various causes and risk factors of obesity are: –
- Lifestyle of an individual which further includes factors such as: –
- Intake of high calorie food and beverages
- Excess alcohol intake
- Sedentary life
- Certain medications and diseases- Certain medications such as anti-seizure medications, antidepressants, steroids, diabetes medications, beta blockers and antipsychotic medications can lead to weight gain. Similarly, certain diseases such as Cushing syndrome, Hypothyroidism, etc. leads to weight gain.
- Age- Obesity is more likely to occur in old age
- Lack of sleep or oversleeping
- Stress- stress may lead to overeating resulting in obesity.
What are the various complications of obesity?
These are: –
- Stroke and cardiac diseases
- Type 2 diabetes
- Digestive issues such as heartburn, liver and gall bladder problems
- Certain cancers
- Sleep apnea
- Chances of developing severe COVID-19 symptoms
In addition, obesity adversely affects the quality of life. People with obesity suffer from discrimination which can lead to depression, shame, guilt, social isolation, and lower achievement at work.
What are the 8 biggest secrets to weight loss?
The various physical, as well as psychological complications caused by obesity, show the importance of maintaining healthy weight for people of all age groups. For those who belong to the heavier side of the scale following are the 8 biggest secrets to weight loss and good health: –
- Reduce the calorie intake- Reduce the overall calorie intake and take a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, pulses and cereals, dairy products, and meat, and oils.
- Monitor your weight based on how well your clothes fit rather than using the weighing scale. This is because the weight on the scale fluctuates due to a number of factors, such as fluid intake, time of the day, and exercise. However, how well the clothes fit gives a better indication.
- Pay attention to what you eat and enjoy what you eat- It is seen that people who mindfully eat their food are 34% less likely to develop obesity. On the hand, people who watch TV or use gadgets while eating are more likely to overeat. Therefore, eat on the dining or kitchen table, and avoid eating unconsciously in bed or on the couch, or at the office desk.
- Don’t rely much on the apps and devices that claim to keep track of calories consumed or burnt as these devices only provide a rough estimate. Instead use your personal experience as the gold standard to assess weight loss due to calorie deficit.
- Drinking right beverages- It is seen that drinking plenty of water especially ice cold water throughout the day helps to lose weight. This is because the ice cold water stimulates the body to expend more calories to maintain normal body temperature at 98.6 degrees. In this respect three servings of 24 ounces of ice cold water each in a day causes the body to burn an extra 100 calories. Also, caffeine present in coffee boosts metabolism and helps to burn calories.
- Be consistent with diet and exercise routine- In this respect, avoid any exercise or diet plan that you are not willing to do forever. For this one can try a habit for 2 weeks to get an idea if one can sustain this habit or not. If a plan gets on your nerves it is best to skip it.
- Develop habit of traveling with a snack – As consistency is essential to lose weight, it is advisable to carry healthy snacks along with oneself when going on a vacation, business trip, or dining out with friends.
- Have meals 3-4 times in a day and fill your stomach in each meal to avoid eating less and often throughout the day.
What are common fat loss myths?
The common fat loss myths are: –
- Vigorous exercise is the only way to lose weight. On the contrary, being more physically active, eating less, or a combination of both is good enough to lose weight.
- Carbohydrates lead to weight gain. On the contrary, eating wholemeal carbohydrates such as brown bread and brown rice, and vegetables such as potatoes with skin on, adds fiber to the diet.
- Starvation is the best way for weight loss- On the contrary, starvation leads to low energy levels in the body which may lead to craving for high-sugar and fatty food.
- All slimming products are safe to use. On the contrary, many unlicensed slimming products may even be harmful for the body.
- All low fat products are healthy. On the contrary, some of these products contain more amount of fat than specified to legally use the tag. Other such products may have high sugar levels. So be cautious and check the composition on the label.
- No snacks will help in weight loss. On the contrary, if one takes healthy items such as vegetables or fruits for snacks instead of items rich in fat, salt or sugar, it will not lead to weight gain.
What is the medical treatment for obesity in homeopathy?
Obesity is not just due to high calorie intake but also faulty genetics, hormonal imbalance, and other medical conditions. Homeopathy can treat these conditions and subsequently help to lose weight. Best homeopathic medicine for weight loss is a constitutional medicine prescribed on the basis of complete psychological and physical make up, unique to every patient. Dr Willmar Schwabe’s Phytolacca berry has also proved to be very safe and effective in managing the symptoms of obesity. It stimulates digestion and better absorption of nutrients lowering the need for more food intake.
Weight loss is essential not only to improve the appearance but also to prevent occurrence of serious medical conditions. Body Mass Index or BMI helps to calculate and determine whether a person needs to lose weight. BMI of 25.0 and above is considered unhealthy. Unhealthy weight gain occurs if the calorie intake is more than what is burnt in a day. Factors such as unhealthy eating habits, stress, excess or loss of sleep, excess alcohol consumption, as well as certain medications and disease conditions, lead to weight gain. It is important to follow the right diet and exercise regimen on daily basis for healthy weight loss. Phytolacca berry, manufactured by Dr Willmar Schwabe, is the best quality, safe, and highly effective homeopathic medicine for weight loss in India.