Winter can cause a lot of trouble on the skin making it dry, itchy, parched. Dry cold air and the harsh weather can harm the skin and the body in many ways. It is important to take proper measures to keep such problems at bay. Some of the ways to protect your skin are:
1. Stay hydrated: In winter people tend to drink very little water. Since winter makes it tough on the skin, it is very important to increase the water intake. Drinking enough water is very important to keep the body healthy and hydrated. Water helps us to keep the digestive system on track and stay energised. It also keeps the skin hydrated and glowy.
2. Moisturizing: Start the moisturizing regimen as early before the winter sets in. Gentle exfoliation and proper moisturization help to keep the skin healthy and prevent from dryness, cracking and itching. It is very important to moisturize not only the face but also whole body.
3. Lukewarm bath:People often love to take long, hot showers during winter. But very hot shower can cause dryness of skin in the long run and remove the natural oils from the skin.
4. Dress for the occasion: Protecting the skin with proper clothes is very important during winter such as wearing gloves, ear muffs, coats, and scarves to protect your skin from the harsh cold and the winter breeze. Exposure to dry cold wind may cause itching, chilblains, frostbite, etc.
5. Eat right: Eating foods high in water content can help hydrate the skin from the inside out. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Food rich in omega 3 fatty acids such as fish oil and flaxseed oil help to maintain a smooth skin and prevent dryness.
6. Apply sun screen: It is essential to maintain the sunscreen routine even during winter as people tend to get sunburn in winter due to dryness and parched skin.
7. Use humidifier: It is a better option to use a humidifier than a room heater to keep warm inside a room. It helps to retain the moisture throughout the day and the humid air relieves the stuffed and dry nose.
8. Mild skin products: Use winter-friendly products to keep the skin healthy. Try to keep things natural and treating the skin the right way. Avoid harsh soaps, cleansers, and other agents and go for natural products that contain Vitamin C, honey, etc. apply mild lip balm to avoid chapped lips and use a hand cream after washing dishes or use waterproof gloves. It is important to take care of the feet too as it is much prone to cracks.
9. Exercise: It is hard to leave the warmth and coziness of the room and exercise or walk on a chilly weather. But regular exercise helps to increase the body heat, sweat and pumps more blood to your organs and skin.
10. Avoid dampness: Avoid dampness at any cost during winter as it may lead to fungal infections especially avoid wearing wet clothes, socks, shoes or undergarments as it can cause itching and irritation.
Homeopathic treatment for winter skin problems:
There are many effective ways of treatment in homoepathy for skin problems. Some of the good remedies for winter skin problems are Schwabe India’s dilutions such as Petroleum, Apis mellifica, Natrum muriaticum, Sulphur, Kreosotum, Agarius muscarius, Graphites, Alumina, etc.
Some of the special skin products to treat the skin problems are Schwabe India’s B&T Cleansing Neem Face Wash, Calendula & Aloe Vera Multi Purpose Cream, Skin Care Bathing Bar, Glow & Fairness Soap, Akne-Sor Soap, etc.