What is a Blocked Nose?
Medically, a blocked nose or stuffy nose refers to Nasal congestion, and the three terms can be used interchangeably. Nasal congestion is a condition where the nasal passages are blocked or narrowed due to inflammation of the lining mucosa and blood vessels of the nose. It can vary from a simple allergic reaction or an indication of some other health problem, such as sinusitis, adenoiditis, tonsillitis or other respiratory infections. It is usually caused by the common cold.
Such nasal congestion may be short-term or long-term in duration.
Causes of Blocked Nose
Congestion usually happens as a result of nasal irritation and inflammation. Minor illnesses such as the flu are the most common causes of nasal congestion. Such conditions get relieved in a week’s duration. The other major causes of frequent blockage of the nose include
- Hay Fever
- Non-cancerous growths (nasal polyps)
- Benign tumors in the nasal passages
- Chemical exposures
- Environmental irritants
- Long-lasting sinus infection (chronic sinusitis)
- Deviated nasal septum
Symptoms of Blocked Nose
- A stuffy or runny nose
- Pain in the sinuses
- Increased secretion of mucus
- Swollen nasal tissue
- Painful pressure around the nose and eyes
- Thick, discoloured nasal drainage
- Accumulation of phlegm and coughing
- Congestion of head
- Tiredness and fatigue
Preventions Of Blocked Nose
Certain preventive measures that can help avoid a blocked nose are:
- Avoiding smoking as it may cause allergies
- Avoiding contact with pets that can cause an allergic reaction
- Increase the humidity in the air by using vaporizers or humidifiers
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Using saline nasal sprays that help clear up the nasal passage
- Taking a Steam bath helps to open the blocked mucous in the nose
- Use of perfumes should also be avoided as they may cause an allergic reaction
Homeopathic medicine for Blocked Nose
Homeopathic medicines for Blocked Nose are very effective in relieving nasal blockage. They are made of natural substances and are completely safe with no side effects and are very capable and competent in the treatment of a blocked nose. Schwabe’s top-grade homeopathic medicine for cold and nose blocks such as Mentholum CH, Alpha NC, Cold in Adults, and Sinus and Allergy are more effective combinations than the nasal sprays. Usually the whole symptomatology is taken into consideration before deciding on the best Homeopathic medicine for a Blocked Nose.