To address the growing problem of indigestion, Schwabe, India has launched a new herbal digestive tonic. Digester herbal promises to be the best medicine for improving the digestion.
What do we mean by digestion?
Digestion refers to the process by which the large and insoluble food particles are broken down into small and water soluble food molecules. This is important as only then the food we eat can be absorbed into the blood stream. These absorbed nutrients are further transported through the blood stream to different parts of the body for use as energy.
It is a complex process that begins in the mouth and ends in anus, along the gastrointestinal tract approximately 9meters long. Depending upon the constitution of different individuals and other factors such as the type of food and the size of meal taken, this process can take 24 to 72 hours to complete.
During this process many mechanical as well as chemical changes takes place in the food we had eaten. In the mouth the food is mechanically turned into a bolus and then swallowed into the esophagus. Through the peristaltic movements the food from the esophagus goes into the stomach.
In the stomach gastric juice rich in hydrochloric acid and the enzyme pepsin is secreted. Mucus is also secreted to protect the walls of the stomach. In the stomach the churning movement of the stomach along with further release of enzymes further breaks down the food.
From the stomach this partially digested food then enters the small intestine. It is in the small intestine where major part of the digestion takes place. Secretion of bile by the liver, pancreatic juices and other intestinal juices help in this process. The nutrients from the food are then absorbed by the lining of the intestinal walls.
The food then passes through the large intestine and fermentation by the gut flora takes place here. The water is then absorbed and waste material is stored as feces. Later the feces are removed via the rectum and anus by defecation.
What are the common digestive problems we are facing in the present times?
The most common digestion related problems are as follows:-
- Gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) – This often shows as heartburn.
- Chronic Diarrhoea – Occasional loose motion or urgency to go to stool is normal but if it happens for three or more times a day and this lasts for at least four weeks then it becomes a cause of concern.
- Chronic Constipation – This means either having hard stools that are difficult to pass or having less than three bowel movements in a week and this continuing for at least three weeks.
- Gastroenteritis – This refers to the infection of the gastro intestinal tract. It could be caused by bacteria such as E.coli or salmonella or virus such as rotavirus. At times gastroenteritis is cause by parasites too.
- Ulcers – Peptic ulcers are most commonly caused by bacterial infection of the lining of the stomach or frequent use of over the counter non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).
- Hemorrhoids – This refers to the swelling of the small rectal veins which presents as pain or itching in the anal area. It can even lead to hard knot around the anus and even bright red blood on passing stools. These hemorrhoids are attributed to many causes such as positive family history, too much straining during passing stools or spending too much time on commode. Hemorrhoids are a common problem during pregnancy too.
What are the common signs and symptoms of digestive disorders?
Digestive disorders present as one or more of the following signs and symptoms:-
- Gas and Bloating of the abdomen- It refers to the condition in which the abdomen feels tight and full and even looks distended. It mainly occurs due to swallowing of air, constipation, GERD, overeating and weight gain.
- Constipation- Passing hard stools, difficulty in passing stools or passing stools for less than three times a week constitute constipation.
- Diarrhoea- Passing loose or watery stools constitute diarrhoea.
- Heartburn or painful burning behind or below the breastbone
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the abdomen
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Weight loss or weight gain
How are the digestive disorders diagnosed?
Tests that can help to diagnose various digestive disorders include as following:-
- Upper GI endoscopy
- Capsule endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography(ERCP)
- Endoscopic ultrasound
How can the digestive disorders be prevented?
- Cut back on food items, known to cause gas and bloating. These include apples, beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, cabbage, milk and milk products, mushrooms, onions, pears, peaches, prunes and wheat.
- Reduce intake of fatty foods in the diet.
- Try and avoid fizzy drinks like cold drinks etc.
- Always chew your food well while eating. Also, it?s advisable to take small and frequent meals throughout the day.
- Try and avoid drinking hastily.
- Don?t chew the gum.
- Exercise regularly
- Reduce intake of coffee.
- Quit smoking
- Gradually take fiber rich diet.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Practice hygiene and always wash your hands thoroughly with soap before preparing or eating food.
- Avoid stress and practise activities like yoga, meditation or favorite hobby for mental relaxation.
- Avoid sweeteners such as sorbitol and fructose that are known to cause gas. Such sweeteners are often found in energy bars, chewing gums, candies and low- carb food items.
- Often certain medications cause gastric trouble. One can talk to one’s health care provider about it.
However very often it is seen that no matter how much we plan or try gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhoea and other such digestive upsets may happen. During such times one often first takes several home remedies in order to get rid of the trouble. Digester herbal by Schwabe, India is the ultimate answer to the common digestive and liver problems as well as to stimulate appetite.
Schwabe is already well known for manufacturing homeopathic medicine for digestion. Dizester herbal is a new and promising venture by the company that involves use of only herbal ingredients which are well known for treating indigestion since ages. These include Kala jeera (Carum carvi), Sanay(Cassia angustifolia), Amaltas (Casia fistula), Jeera (Cuminum cyminum), Hing(Ferula asafoetida), Saunf(Foeniculum vulgare), Pudina (Mentha piperita), Moringa (Morings oleifera), Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans), Harad (Terminalia chebula), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi), and Sonth (Zingiber officinale).
Only genuine and pure products are used to manufacture dizester herbal. This product is presented as syrup base for easy administration of these otherwise pungent herbs. Care is taken to keep the syrup sugar free so that it can be taken by diabetics and other health conscious people as well. All this ensures that the herbal tonic dizester herbal is the best medicine for improving your digestion.