Spasmodic abdominal pain
Homeopathy is based on the principle of like cures like. Homeopathic medicines can ease both acute and chronic troubles. Homeopathic medicines are made from plants, minerals, and animal substances. It is the safest, gentle and natural system of healing. The therapeutic method is to use the highly diluted natural substance as a remedy. This remedy will cast-off the symptoms of the disease. Colikind is a well-established formulation. It is a convenient option for prescribers in advising the patients suffering from long term digestive colic ailments in children. It acts as an antispasmodic medicine. It relieves cramps and abdominal pains in children. It helps in the prevention of colic in infants when given before feeding hours.
Abdominal pain is usually described as localized (limited to a particular area), cramp-like (associated with loose stools, bloating and flatulence) and colicky (associated with severe problems like kidney stones, biliary stones, appendicitis). The colicky pains are sudden and intense, feels like a sudden muscular spasm. It generally occurs when muscles in stomach and intestines contract. Sometimes pains are short-term, sometimes recurring in nature. Many times, spasm comes and goes gradually and sometimes it lasts longer. Spasmodic abdominal pains can also be sudden and intense depending on its cause.
Common causes of spasmodic abdominal pain include constipation, diarrhea, flatulence, vomiting, stomach flu, stress, acid reflux (GERD), gastritis, enteritis. Severe abdominal pain occurs in cases like Crohn’s disease, lactose intolerance, gall stones, kidney stones, appendicitis, infection in colon, and sometimes when child eats or drinks quickly, lying after meals, poor eating habits like eating junk.
Symptoms of spasmodic abdominal pains:
- The child becomes fussy and irritable. The cries are ear-piercing.
- Child complains of pain in the abdomen with loose stool and colic.
- Blood in stool.
- Blood in vomit.
- Vomiting with fever.
- There is intense restlessness from spasm in the abdomen.
- Unknown cause for fever.
- Pain in the upper part of the abdomen.
- Bloating and heaviness in the abdomen.
- Tenderness of tummy. The child does not allow you to touch or hardness of stomach.
Dose: It should be used in 2-3 tablets a day in acute cases. Once the symptoms diminish, reduce dose to 3 tablets thrice a day until the symptoms disappear completely. The composition of this remedy includes: Argentum Nitricum 5X 10 mg, Chamomilla 1X 30 mg, Cinchona officinalis 3X 20 mg, Cuprum aceticum 4X 20 mg, Foeniculum vulgare Q 50mg, Lycopodium clavatm 3X 20mg, Momordica balsamina 2X 20 mg, Tila europaea 1X 20mg.
Indication of the remedies:
- Argentum nitricum: Cramps in the abdomen with gas, pain in groins worse after touch, aggravated on walking. Soreness in the abdomen. Ulcerative pains with burning.
- Diarrhoea after eating meals. Stools covered with mucous.
- Chamomilla: Highly irritable child. Cutting wind with colic in the abdomen. Flatulence with anger, one cheek red with hot sweating. Oversensitivity to pain.
- Restlessness. Infantile colic. The child only better when carried.
- Cinchona officinalis: Spasmodic abdominal pain in the pit of the stomach. Tympanitic soreness in the pit of abdomen. Pressure after meals. Digestion becomes slow. Stools covered in froth.
- Cuprum aceticum: Diarrhoea with violent pains in the abdomen. Rumbling of stools with sharp cutting pain in anus. Dark liquid stools with colic in the stomach.
- Foeniculum vulgare: Pains with pressure and soreness in jawbones. It helps in digestion lowers down the gripping pain in the stomach.
- Lycopodium clavatum: Shooting pains in stomach traveling from right to left, bloating in the abdomen, noisy flatus. Digestive power becomes weak. Trouble in digesting meals. Excessive flatulence in the abdomen with bloating.
- Momordica balsamina: Digestion ailments, pain in stomach gripping sensation. Gas in splenic flexure. Rumbling noises in the abdomen.
- Tila europaea: Used in abdominal complaints associated with uterine troubles. Pain around the bellybutton. Child complains of bloating and heaviness in the stomach.
There is no contraindication of this remedy. It is completely safe to use with no side-effects. It does not react with any other products known.
- Give water, clear fluids, soups.
- Avoid junks, spicy foods, applesauce.
- Avoid activity after meals.
- Encourage the child to evacuate bowel daily.