The immune system is defensive mechanism which protects our body from disease-causing microorganisms. For this to function properly, it requires balance and harmony. But it can be weakened by so many factors from diet, work, food habits, deficiency of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, pressure, environmental factors, etc.
The changing life style pattern results in frequent infections and allergies such as cold, cough, running nose, tonsillitis, bronchitis, allergic rhinitis, allergic skin problems, etc. Reports suggest that taking too much of antibiotics might weaken the immune response.
The much elusive immune system can be boosted by a healthy food habit and lifestyle along with proper exercises. Some of the ways to enhance the immune system are by
- Including micronutrients in diet: Food rich in micronutrients such as zinc, selenium, iron, copper, folic acid, and vitamins A, B6, C, and E helps to increase the immune reaction. Citrus fruits, red peppers, broccoli, ginger, spinach, shellfish, dry fruits and nuts, sunflower and flax seeds, etc are rich source of micronutrients.
- Sufficient sleep and stress management. Reduced or loss of sleep leads to increased stress which inturn increases the level of the hormone cortisol, prolonged elevation of which suppresses immune function.
- Quit tobacco and smoke: They affect the basic immune defenses and increases the risk of developing bronchitis, pneumonia and middle ear infections in kids through secondary inhalation.
- Avoid alcohol. Excessive consumption of alcohol affects the immune system and increases the susceptibility to lung infections.
- A proper healthy diet: Eating plenty of green vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds, eggs, poultry and dairy products provide the body with the nutrients required by the immune system needs.
- Taking probiotics: Fermented milk products and yoghurt have been reported to reduce respiratory infections in adults and kids if taken regularly.
- Sufficient exposure to sunlight: It helps in the production of vitamin D.
- Garlic, ginger and honey: They are said to have antimicrobial properties and natural immune-boosters.
- Herbs: Natural herbs such as eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticocus), Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng), American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius), or astragalus (A. membranaceus), Echinacea, Green tea, Turmeric, Elderberry, etc are said to enhance the immunity if taken regularly as tea.
- Regular walks and exercises help in the production of many hormones that enhances the immunity and also helps in reducing stress and improve the sleep quality.
Homeopathic medicine for immune system
In homeopathy, there are good medicines to boost the immunity without producing any harmful side effects. Some of the best remedies to improve the immune system are Silicea, Gelsemium, Arsenicum album, Oscillococcinum, Allium cepa, Calcarea Carbonica, Phosphorus, Lycopodium, Sabadilla, Echinacea, etc.
Some of the special products in homeopathy to improve the immune system are Scwabe India?s Alpha-WD, Munostim, Echinacea angustifolia 1x, etc.