Exhaustion refers to feeling tired and weak constantly and can be mental, physical or a combination of both. It can affect people of different ages and both sexes. It needs to be differentiated from tiredness or sleepiness which can be easily overcome by rest or few nights of good sleep. But if a person despite getting enough sleep hours, a nutritious diet or regular exercise finds it tough to perform day to day activities, or concentrate at work or even shows sexual weakness he is said to be facing exhaustion that needs to be investigated further for cause.
CAUSES OF EXHAUSTION
Exhaustion is caused by a combination of various factors which includes:-
- Medical causes- Diseases such as thyroid disorder, diabetes mellitus or high blood sugar levels or even some heart disease can cause exhaustion.
- Lifestyle related causes- These include:-
- Sleep habits- Lack of eight hours of sleep or those who sleep for more than 11 hours at night tend to have exhaustion.
- Alcohol and drugs- Excessive alcohol, tobacco in cigarettes and caffeine leads to exhaustion.
- Lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyle- Physical activity improves health and fitness levels as well as reduces stress and boosts vitality in a person.
- Poor diet- A diet lower in calories than required by the body as well as a diet high on calories but low in nutritional value leads to exhaustion.
- Work related causes- These include faulty workplace practices and factors such as extended work hours, night shifts or hard physical labor, fixed concentration on a repeated task or working alone without much or any interaction with others as well as stressful work environments such as too high noise levels or temperature extremes that can lead to low vitality.
- Psychological causes- Scientists have found that psychosomatic causes are found in more than 50 percent cases of exhaustion. These factors include:-
- Depression- It is characterized by prolonged and severe feelings of sadness and hopelessness. Such people tend to suffer from chronic fatigue.
- Anxiety and stress- It is seen that those who are in a state of stress or anxiety for long tend to have high adrenaline in their blood and their body is in a constant state of overdrive. This exhausts the body leading to fatigue.
- Grief- Loss of a loved one causes a wide range of emotions and lack of vitality such that the person loses concentration and motivation to do anything and feels fatigued.
MANAGEMENT OF EXHAUSTION
For most people exhaustion can be managed well by the following steps:-
- Seek timely medical help
- Regular physical activity- It is seen that brisk walking for 3 or more hours each week decreases the risk of ill- health.
- Diet- A balanced and nutritious diet boosts energy levels.
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Have fixed and adequate sleep hours.
- Avoid tobacco smoking and alcohol and drug intake.
- Practice meditation, yoga, and other such relaxation techniques.
- Consult a psychologist for talk therapy in case stress or emotional issues are causing lack of vitality.
HOMEOPATHIC MANAGEMENT OF EXHAUSTION
Homeopathy can be used for an effective and safe treatment for exhaustion whether physical, mental or a combination of both. Best homeopathic medicine for exhaustion is the one most similar to disease manifestation. For this, a trained homeopathic physician elicits symptoms of both mental and physical spheres in each case. Thus by addressing the root cause there is long lasting resolution of the problem.
Some commonly indicated homeopathic medicines for energy are:-
Acidum Phosphoricum – It is especially indicated in young people who grow rapidly and who are overtaxed, mentally or physically. The mental debility comes first followed by physical debility. It corresponds to conditions arising from loss of vital fluids, excess grief and ravage of acute diseases.
Agnus Castus– It is suited for low sexual vitality due to repeated gonorrhoea or abuse of sexual powers. There is corresponding mental depression as well as impotency with no sexual desire in patients requiring this medicine.
Calcarea Phosphorica- It is especially suited in tardy dentition and troubles incident to that period, bone disease, non- union of fractured bone and the anemia after acute diseases and chronic wasting diseases. It has special affinity where bone forms sutures or symphyses and all its symptoms are worse from any change of weather.
Kalium Phosphorica- It is especially suited for conditions arising from want of nerve power, neurasthenia, mental and physical depression. It corresponds to states of adynamia and decay. The cause it covers includes excitement, overwork and worry.
Natrum Muriaticum– It is suited for great debility which is mostly felt in the morning in bed. Emaciation is mostly seen in the neck. There is a great liability to take cold with weakness and weariness. It is indicated when there are psychic causes of diseases such as ill effects of grief, fright, anger, etc.