Hair fall is a condition where there is excessive loss of hair loss from the scalp. Hair fall is one of the most upcoming problems that affect the youth both men and women equally both physically in appearance-wise and emotionally. Usually, new hair replaces the lost hairs but not always because the hair loss may develop gradually over the months and years or with a sudden onset.
It can be temporary or permanent and maybe the result of heredity traits, hormonal changes, certain medical conditions or as a part of aging. It is normal to lose 100-150 hairs per day. Aging can lead to thinning of hair in their 30s and 40s.
The human hair undergoes two phases of changes during its growth, the anagen or growing phase and the telogen or resting phase. The human scalp hair usually has three years of anagen phase when it grows well. Then it enters the telogen or resting phase when the growth stops and the hair falls out. The telogen phase lasts for three months when the club of the hair shrinks and dries and the hair fall is more noticeable. After this, it is normally replaced by new hairs. About 10% of scalp hairs are in the telogen phase and hence it is normal to lose about100 hairs a day.
Other causes of hair fall
Hair fall can be caused by various reasons. It may be due to physical damage such as breakage of hair shafts, chemical damage or loss of hair follicles. Some of the other factors which cause hair fall are:
- Certain medical conditions such as seborrhoeic dermatitis (dandruff), Thyroid disorders, autoimmune diseases, long-lasting illnesses and fevers, certain medications used for conditions such as high blood pressure, arthritis, depression, heart problems and chemotherapy.
- Nutritional deficits such as protein deficiency, anemia, vitamins and minerals deficiency, calcium deficiency, etc.
- Hair fall can be caused by stress, emotional trauma and sudden shocks, childbirth, high fever, sudden weight loss, major surgery, etc. A hereditary trait is the most common cause of hair fall in cases of hair loss resulting in baldness.
Types of hair fall
There are mainly two kinds of hair fall, scarring and non-scarring hair loss. If the scalp seems normal with multiple empty hair follicles, it is called non-scarring hair loss and if the follicles are completely destroyed, it is called cicatricial or scarring hair loss.
The hair loss can appear in different forms. They are:
Patchy hair loss: Small, circular patchy hair loss on the scalp which usually grows back is called alopecia areata. Thinning of hair due to physical force such as from tight hairstyles is called traction alopecia. Sometimes such hair fall can be caused by a fungal infection, it is called tinea capitis. Another condition where there is a tendency in a person to pull out hair follicles is called trichotillomania.
Diffuse hair loss: Diffuse hair loss are usually caused by malnutrition, dandruff, endocrinal disorders, hormonal imbalance, pattern alopecia, drug-induced alopecia, long-lasting illness like cancer and a condition called telogen effluvium.
Total loss: Total loss of hair such as in alopecia totalis or permanent loss of hair due to scarring as in lichen planus of the scalp.
How to identify the type of hair fall?
The diagnosis is made through physical examination and the observations of the patient. It also depends upon the diet, hair care, medical and family history. Also, some tests can be done such as pull test, scalp biopsy, complete blood count (CBC), iron level, vitamin B, thyroid function tests (TFT), etc.
Prevention and management of hair fall
Many effective treatment options are available to reduce hair fall except in cases of permanent damage to hair follicles and severe baldness. These treatments can help in reducing and slowing down the rate of hair fall and it may help in re-growth of hair. In many cases, the hair grows back even without any treatment by just correcting the diet and lifestyle. If the hair fall is caused by any underlying disease condition, proper treatment should be given for that disease. Some of the steps that can be taken to prevent hair fall are as follows:
- First of all, a good, healthy hair requires proper hair care regimen such as good hygiene, regular shampooing and conditioning.
- A healthy hair needs a healthy diet and a good nutrition.
- Take food that is rich in protein, calcium and iron.
- Avoid wearing hair in tight hairstyles like tight buns, braids, ponytails, etc.
- Avoid unnecessary pulling, twisting and rubbing of the hair.
- Avoid harmful chemical treatments, heat treatments and beauty regimens that can damage the hair
- Avoid too much oiling of hair if it is already an oily hair and also avoid dryness of hair.
- Use mild shampoo and conditioners. Avoid too many styling and hair products.
- Treating the underlying medical conditions like thyroid disease, anemia, and hormonal imbalance can reduce the hair loss.
Homeopathic medicines and products for preventing and treating hair fall
- The best homeopathy medicines for hair growth, preventing hair fall and to stimulate the hair growth are:
- Thuja Occidentalis: For hair fall is due to itching and dryness from dry, white, scaly dandruff. Dryness and thinning of hair. Hair grows very slowly and is very dry and lusterless.
- Natrum Muriaticum: For hair fall experienced after childbirth. Thinning of hair from the forehead. For women who suffer from hair loss due to anemia. It is also useful in cases of hair fall due to dandruff and alopecia areata.
- Lycopodium: It is one of the best homeopathic remedy for hair fall after childbirth, during menopause, or due to ovarian disorders. Hair fall begins from the vertex and then later spread to the temples.
- Flouric Acid: It is one of the best homeopathic medicines for hair loss in patches and for hair loss that begins after any illnesses. The hair becomes dry, tangles and easily breaks off.
- Phosphorus: The hair falls out in bunches with dandruff. It is indicated for dryness and premature graying of hair. Hair loss appears in the vertex and forehead.
Some of the other homeopathic medicines that are helpful in treating hair loss are Phosphoric Acid, Sepia, Lachesis, Sulphur, Graphites, etc.
Homeopathic medicines for hair loss after childbirth
- Natrum Muriaticum
- Pulsatilla Pratensis
Homeopathic medicines for hair fall due to dandruff
- Kali Sulphuricum
- Vinca Minor
Homeopathic medicines for hair fall due to Alopecia areata
- Fluoricum Acidum
- Calcarea Carbonica
- Vinca Minor
Homeopathic medicines for premature baldness
- Baryta Carbonica
- Lycopodium Clavatum
Homeopathic hair care products for hair loss
There are many hair care products such as hair oils, shampoos and conditioners available in the market. It is very essential to choose the hair care products carefully for the best results. They should be free of harmful chemicals and perfumes. The homeopathic hair care products from Schwabe India are mild, gentle on hair and scalp, contain natural herbs, minerals and oils and are very nourishing to the scalp and hair with best homeopathic ingredients. Some of the best hair care products available to prevent hair fall and promote hair growth are:
B&T 7öL: It is one of the best hair oils to prevent hair fall. It is one of the best hair oils for hair growth, hair regrowth, etc, that has a nourishing action on the hair and scalp. It contains the richness of Almond, Argan, Olive, Jojoba, Walnut, Amla and Coconut Oils enriched with the homeopathic herbs of Arnica, Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi) and Eclipta alba (Bhringraj) which gives excellent results by increasing the blood circulation to the scalp.
B&T Hair Growth Oil: This hair growth oil contains the richness of homeopathic herbs Arnica montana, Jaborandi, Sabal serrulata and Olive oil. It reduces the hair fall, improves hair growth and prevents premature graying.
B&T Anti-Dandruff Oil: It is one of the best anti-dandruff hair oils which clears the dandruff and its associated symptoms like itching, dryness and hair fall. The oil has the power of homeopathic remedies Azadirachta indica (Neem), Lavendula, Cardiospermum and Cochlearia which are very effective for treating dandruff, control itching and flaking when used regularly.
B&T Arnica Shampoo: It is one of the best shampoos which prevents hair fall by strengthening the roots of the hair. It is enriched with homeopathic herbs like Arnica, Jaborandi, Lavendula and Salvia which helps to nourish the hair, gives the hair a natural sheen. It also helps to prevent premature graying.
B&T Anti-Dandruff Shampoo: Loaded with the power of traditional medicinal and homeopathic herbs such as Lavendula, Saponaria and Urtica dioica, it is one of the best anti-dandruff shampoos that while effectively taking care of the dandruff problem, it also helps to treat the other symptoms like itching and flaking. For effective results, it should be used regularly.
Zauberöl: A recent product from Schwabe India, it is one of the best hair growth oils that has effectively proven to be the best hair oil which enhances the growth of hair and in replacing the hair loss. The regular use of this oil having many homeopathic herbs will ensure regrowth of hair, reduce and prevent further hair fall and also prevent premature graying and premature baldness.
There are various treatment options available to treat hair fall. Homeopathic medicines and hair care products are one of the best and safe ways to induce and stimulate new hair growth or regrowth of lost hair. Regular use of these homeopathic hair care products along with the intake of proper diet and nutrition along with internal medicines will help to prevent further hair fall.