The brain which is safely present within the skull is roughly a three-pound organ that is in turn, made up of a large mass of nerve tissue. Together with the spinal cord, it forms the central nervous system of the body. The brain can be mainly divided into four parts:-
Cerebrum – It is the most significant part of the brain which is further divided into two halves- the right and left hemispheres. The hemisphere of our brain controls the opposite side of the body. Cerebrum performs the higher functions of the body like interpreting tactile, auditory, visual stimuli as well as reasoning, emotions and learning. It is also involved in excellent control of movements. Each hemisphere is further divided into four lobes by distinct fissures in the brain. These are frontal, temporal, occipital and parietal lobes. Each of these lobes are again divided into areas that perform particular functions. It is seen that very complex relationships exist between the lobes of the brain and between the right and left hemispheres such that no lobe of the brain functions alone.
Cerebellum- Located under the cerebrum, it helps in the coordination of muscle movements and maintains posture and balance.
Brainstem- It performs various involuntary functions such as controlling breathing, heart rate, body temperature, wake and sleep cycle, digestion, sneezing, coughing, vomiting and swallowing.
Diencephalon- It is located at the base of the brain and further consists of
a). Thalamus- It is also involved in sleep, consciousness, and memory.
b). Epithalamus- It is a connection between the limbic system and other parts of the brain. This limbic system is involved with long –term memory, emotions and behavior.
c). Hypothalamus- It maintains homeostasis or a balance of all functions of the body by controlling appetite, body temperature, produce and release of hormones and daily physiological cycles such as the sleep-wake cycle.
FACTORS THAT AFFECT THE BRAIN-
- The various factors that affect the brain can be broadly divided into five main categories:
- Brain injuries such as concussion
- Cerebrovascular injuries such as strokes
- Brain tumor such as neuromas
- Neurodegenerative disorders such as dementia or Parkinson’s disease
- Psychological condition such as anxiety or depression
SYMPTOMS OF BRAIN CONDITION
- Symptoms due to brain injury depend on the type and extent of the injury. They may appear immediately after traumatic event hours or days later. The general symptoms include headache, nausea and vomiting, feeling confused or disoriented, dizziness, feeling tired or drowsy, speech problems like slurring, sleeping more or less than usual, dilation of one or both pupils, fluid draining from nose or ears, seizures, sensory errors like ringing in ears or blurred vision, difficulty in concentrating or recollecting things and mood swings or unusual behavior.
- Symptoms due to cerebrovascular injury come on suddenly and include severe headache, loss of vision, inability to speak, paralysis, drooping face and coma.
- Symptoms due to brain tumor depend on the type, size and location of the tumor and include nausea or vomiting, headache, loss of motor coordination such trouble in walking, feeling sleepy or weak, changes in appetite, seizures, the problem in vision, hearing or speech, difficulty in concentration and mood swings.
- Symptoms due to damage to nerve mass over time are progressive and include memory loss, change in mood, difficulty in motor coordination e.g. difficulty in walking or staying balanced and speech issues such as slurry speech and hesitation before speaking.
- Symptoms due to psychological problems include excessive fear, worry or guilt, feeling of sadness, confusion, difficulty in concentration, low energy, extreme stress, mood swings, indifference to loved ones or pleasurable activities, delusions, hallucinations and even suicidal thoughts.
MANAGEMENT OF BRAIN HEALTH
As lifestyle has a big impact on brain health various measures that can help boost brain health are as follows
1. Physical exercise – Regular physical exercise improves blood flow to the brain. It influences chemical changes in the brain that enhance learning, mood, thinking and memory. It also lowers the risk of various neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
2. Food and Nutrition- It is seen that diet rich in antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids such as fish, whole grain, green leafy vegetables, olives and nuts helps maintain brain health. Restrict red meat, butter and dairy products. Take plenty of fruits every day. Dark chocolate, spices such as turmeric, ginger and cinnamon, coffee, green tea, red wine are rich in antioxidants and are suitable for brain.
3. Control medical risks- Hypertension, diabetes, obesity, depression, head trauma, high cholesterol, and smoking increase the chances of dementia. Therefore regular health checkups, following doctor’s advice and taking medications as prescribed is essential.
4. Adequate sleep and relaxation- Taking adequate sleep and practicing meditation help improve mood, immune system and fend off dementia.
5. Mental exercise- Use of brain during mental exercises improves the brain’s functioning and promotes new brain cell growth.
6. Social interaction- Spending time with others, engaging in brain-stimulating conversation and staying connected with friends and family slow rate of memory decline.
TREATMENT OF BRAIN CONDITIONS
Homeopathy has a large role to play in the treatment of brain disorder. In some conditions homeopathy may not cure but it can help the people to cope better with their difficulties. Appropriate homeopathic treatment is safe and has no side effects. It is also seen that there is no relapse of brain conditions such as brain tumor with homeopathic treatment.
Best homeopathic medicine for a given brain disorder is the one most similar to the disease manifestation which is elicited from both mental and physical sphere of the patient. Such a medicine can boost brain health and is the best brain tonic in homeopathy. In addition specific homeopathic medicines e.g. Kali Phosphoricum nourishes the nerves and boost memory, making them the best brain tonic for students. At the same time homeopathic medicines e.g. Ginkgo Biloba, Picricum Acidum have antioxidant properties that fends off dementia, thus making them the best brain tonic for adults.
Schwabe makes the best homeopathic brain tonic in India as it uses genuine and pure raw materials and adhere to strict guidelines mentioned in pharmacopeias for manufacturing all its products.
Some of the medicines that act as the Best brain tonics in homeopathy are:-
Aethusa Cynapium- It is especially suited in students for brain fag that occurs before examinations. There is inability to think and fix attention. There is marked inability to digest milk.
Petroleum– It is suited for memory problems related to spatial orientation. The person tends to get lost when they step out into the surroundings which should be familiar to them.
Baryta Carb– It is suited for dementia when the person becomes childish in their old age. They often have difficulty in finding the right word to say and even tend to leave their purchases in the shop.
Kali Phosphoricum– It is suited for brain fag where slightest labor seems a heavy task. There is loss of memory and the person is disinclined to meet people due to irritability.
Gingko Biloba– It helps to treat memory loss, dementia, general weakness and hence is very effective in treatment of diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Phosphoricum Acidum– It is suited in young people who grow rapidly and are overtaxed mentally and physically such as after ravages of acute diseases, loss of vital fluids and excessive grief. The person is indifferent to his surroundings with difficult comprehension and difficulty in collecting his thoughts.