Glycyrrhiza glabra 1X
Glycyrrhiza glabra is a proved homoeopathic medicine, largely used as mother tincture, or 1x. Empirically used as anti-inflammatory and expectorant. It has attracted research after finding it useful like corticosteroids without their side effects. Its immuno stimulant, hepato protective, PAF inhibitory, tumor inhibitory, lipid regulatory activities were subjected to deeper studies. Its active agent glycyrrhizin is proven thrombin-inhibitor in vivo. Another constituent inhibits growth of prostate cancer; reduction of body fat by whole plant extract. Antitussive property is recognized by homoeopaths & scientifically proven by many studies. In view of the above, many homoeopaths & institutes have given a fresh look to it.
It has been found useful in irritating cough, strengthening throat, lowers internal inflammation, covers sore throat. It counters cold, catarrh, cough and bronchitis. Proved by Berridge, Hom. Physician V, 9, 62; Thomas Lindsley Bradford.
In some cases it has tonic effect especially in aged males, who also reported benefits in prostatic problems and polyuria. Glycyrrhizin is reported to stimulate production of hormones by the adrenal glands and reduces the breakdown of steroids by liver & kidneys.
Where to remember Schwabe’s Glycyrrhiza glabra 1X tablets?
• Irritating cough without wheeze – antitussive.
• Sore throat.
• Chronic inflammatory condition of air passage.
• Cough of non-specific origin.
• Cold, catarrh with cough.
It can be used alone or as supplement to other medicines.
Dosage: Unless otherwise prescribed by the physician, 1 tablet every hour. Children should be given one tablet every 2 hours. And when symptoms improve 1 tablet thrice daily. If complaints are not relieved, consult a specialist.
Side effects: No side effects of Glycyrrhiza glabra 1X tablets are known.
Contraindications and cautions: Anaemic persons and pregnant ladies. Long term use may lead to increase in blood pressure and retention of fluid in the body causing oedema.
Interactions: No interactions between Glycyrrhiza glabra 1X tablets and other products are known.
Presentation: Bottle of 20g.
- CSIR, Second Supplement to Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants with Active Principles, Part 1 (A-K), Publication and Information Directorate, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi, 1992.
- Mendes-Silva W, Assafim M, Ruta B, Monteiro RQ, Guimarães JA, Zingali RB. Antithrombotic effect of Glycyrrhizin, a plant-derived thrombin inhibitor. Thromb Res. 2003;112(1-2):93-8.
- Kanazawa M1, Satomi Y, Mizutani Y, Ukimura O, Kawauchi A, Sakai T, Baba M, Okuyama T, Nishino H, Miki T. Isoliquiritigenin inhibits the growth of prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2003 May;43(5):580-6.
- Armanini D, De Palo CB, Mattarello MJ (2003). Effect of licorice on the reduction of body fat mass in healthy subjects. J. Endocrinol. Invest., 26(7): 646-650.