Schwabe News Volume 3 | Issue 3 | June 2012
Commonly known as spurge laurel, it is an evergreen shrub 60cm to 1m high, with erect stem branching at the top, branches glabrous or slender, silky-hairy. Leaves ovate and obtuse to ovate-lanceolate and acute to oblong-lanceolate and tapering at both ends, up to 5cm long, thin and glabrous. Flowers very shortly pedicellate in small terminal heads, sometimes in short spikes; perianth greenish-yellow, glabrous or slightly hairy, tubular hypogynous scales 4, small, narrow, approximate in opposite pairs, sometimes the two connate at the base, drupe red, about 1.3cm in diameter with the endocarp rather hard.1
A homoeopathic tincture is made from the bark. It is covered by Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of India. It was proved and introduced by Bute in 1837.2,3
Daphne indica acts on the tissues, muscles, bones and skin. Literatures indicate daphne indica’s usefulness in craving for tobacco, especially in cases trying for cessation of smoking tobacco. The prostate discharges are worse from tobacco. Burning in stomach. The gastric symptoms are worse from alcohol. Fetid breath, urine, sweat. Its pains are erratic and electric-like. Sudden, lightning jerks in different parts of the body.4,5,6
A report submitted to the University of Johannesburg has found that a homoeopathic anti-smoking complex containing this drug with 30 participants is effective in the treatment of smoking cessation.7
Daphne indica ∅ is available from Schwabe India in 30ml and 100ml packing. The sale pattern shows that the usage of this mother tincture has increased in the last few years. The manufacturing of this mother tincture has increased 3-4 times in the span of 1-2 years.
Recommended dose: 5-10 drops 2-3 times a day.
- P. N. Varma, Indu Vaid, Encyclopaedia of Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia, Volume II, Updated edition 2007, B. Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
- Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- J. H. Clarcke, Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica, Reprint Edition 1992, B. Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
- A. L. Blackwood, A Manual of Materia Medica, Therapeutics and Pharmacology, Reprint Edition 1995, B. Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
- W. Boericke, New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica & Repertory [with Relationship of Remedies], Second Re-Augmented & Revised Edition Based on Ninth Edition, Reprint Edition 2002, B. Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
- R. Murphy, Homoeopathic Remedy Guide, RadarOpus 1.33, Archibel S.A. Rue Fontaine St. Pierre 1E, Zoning Industriel de la Fagne, 5330 Assesse, Belgium.
- Grové, Yolani, Efficacy of Anti Smoking Complex in nicotine withdrawal and smoking cessation. Available from: https://ujdigispace.uj.ac.za/handle/10210/2349