Sneezing from sinus problems
Sinus is a general term used for sinusitis. Sinusitis is a condition in which swelling or inflammation of the tissues lining the sinuses is present. Generally, sinuses are filled with air but they get infected when getting blocked and filled with fluid instead of air.
There are many diseased conditions which cause sinusitis like the common cold, Allergic rhinitis(swelling of the linings of the nose), nasal polyps and a deviated septum.
Sinusitis can be caused by many factors which are given below:
- Viruses: Viruses constitute about almost nine tenth cases of sinusitis.
- Bacteria: Only about 1 case in 10 is generally caused by bacteria.
- Pollutants: Chemicals or foreign matters in the air can be the cause of sinusitis.
- Fungi: Fungi is not generally involved. The sinusitis caused by fungi, directly from the air by inhalation.
Sinusitis is classified as:
- Acute sinusitis, which usually comes with cold-like symptoms such as a runny, stuffy nose and facial pain. It may start suddenly and lasts for 2-4 weeks.
- Subacute sinus in which swelling usually lasts for 4 to 12 weeks.
- Chronic sinusitis in which symptoms lasts for 12 weeks or longer.
- Recurrent sinusitis, occurs multiple times in a year.
Symptoms of sinusitis includes:
- Facial pain or pressure with feeling of fullness and congestion in face
- Stuffed-up nose or nasal obstruction or nasal blockage
- Runny nose
- Loss of smell
- Cough or congestion
- Bad breath
- Pus in the nasal cavity
- Avoid smoking.
- Wash your hands regularly, mainly when suffering from cold and flu season.
- Stay away from things by which the person is allergic or complaints arises.
- Avoid contacts from people with respiratory infections such as colds.
- Use of humidifier to moisten the air at home, and keep it clean may also help.
- Air conditioning units will be helpful to prevent mold and dust from collecting.
Examination of Nasal Cavity: The doctor usually examines the nose by visualizing the nasal cavity. If symptoms persist, an endoscopy can be done by inserting a small, thin, flexible tube with a light and camera attached into the nose. This can provide more detailed images about the condition of the patient.
- Clearing Nasal Passage: This procedure is known as nasal irrigation, sinus irrigation, or sinus lavage. In this procedure, washing and clearing the nasal passages with saltwater or a saline solution to make it free from microorganisms.
- Warm application: Apply a warm application to the affected areas of the face which can relieve inflammation and discomfort to some extent.
- Steam: Steam inhalation can be used to give relief in congestion. Steam can be taken by boiling water in a bowl and take direct steam from it.
- Hydration: Drinking large quantity of liquid to make body(mucosa) moist and avoid mental and physical exertion can helps to reduce the symptoms.
- Silicea: It is the important and effective medicine for chronic sinusitis with Headache, mainly of right side extend up to right eye too. The patient is very chilly and is very sensitive to cold air and feels better after warm covering. Blockage of nose due to formation of hard crusts get accumulated in the nasal cavity is also present. If a patient tried to remove these crusts, then bleeding takes place from nose. The discharges from the nasal passage is yellowish or greenish-yellow. Sneezing in the morning is a commonly occurs.
- Belladonna: Belladonna is well-used medicine when sinusitis is due to suppressed discharge. Belladonna is very useful when a patient also complains of a severe headache, better by tight bandaging of head accompanied with heat and redness of the face. Another important symptom of Belladonna is throat pain and cough, may be associated with sinusitis.
- Kalium Bichromicum: In chronic sinusitis it is given when the discharge feels in the throat instead of coming out from nose. The character of discharge is very thick with yellow in color, ropy, stringy and the patient feels heaviness in the nose. The person is unable to breathe through nose. Kali bich is also used in cases for pain above the eyes with the swelling in the eyes. The complaints get worse in the morning.
- Mercurius Solubilis: Merc Sol is prescribed when discharge is yellowish-green with a sensation of burning in nose because the nasal membrane gets corroded due to the offensive and thick, acrid discharges. Along with sinusitis, a patient complains of headache with heating sensation. Increased salivation is also keynote of the medicine. Offensive breath is also present.
- Pulsatilla: it is prescribed when discharge is a green-colored, without burning and the patient feels better in the open air while increases in a closed place like a room or a crowded place. The right nostril is obstructed especially in the evening and there is heaviness or pressing pain at the root of the nose. Sensation of smell is often lost. The discharges are offensive and complete absence of thirst. The person weep easily for slightest reason is the keynote symptom of Pulsatilla.
- Spigelia: It is a left-sided remedy, especially frontal sinus associated with headache and maxillary sinusitis with pain in cheeks, upper jaws and lastly pain extend to teeth. There is severe throbbing pain over the left eye accompanied by discharge which was feel in the throat.
- Bryonia Alba: Bryonia is prescribed for left-side sinus with bursting pain in forehead over left eye, aggravated by motion and relief by taking rest.
- Hydrastis: It is considered when the discharges may be yellow in colour and rope-like. The patient may give symptom of pressure at the root of nose. In acute sinusitis, discharges may be thin and watery while in chronic, discharges are thick, yellowish and tenacious with offensive smell from the nose and the person feel very tired. Pain in the frontal region. A patient feels a blockage in the nose and try to clear up with forceful expiration and feel like hair in the nose.
- Hepar Sulphur: This is a well indicated homeopathic medicine used to end the even slight reaction of the patient to change of climate to cold. The slightest exposure to cold in any form tends to bring on the symptoms of sneezing and running nose. The nose may get blocked upon slightest exposure to cold air or cold temperature. Cough appears after the exposure to cold weather. Discharges are yellow like pus from the nose may be present with a smell like old cheese may present in the nose. In the case of acute sinusitis, discharges are watery while in chronic cases, it changes to thick, greenish.